Regular roof maintenance in the Granbury, TX, area can make it easier to prepare for winter. The cold weather can be hard on your home, which is why you may need to consider these improvement projects before the temperature starts to drop.
- Inspect the Chimney: Most homeowners put their chimney to use during the winter. However, a dysfunctional chimney could lead to dangerous gases being trapped in your home. Make sure it is properly inspected and regularly cleaned to avoid this fiasco.
- Repair Gutters: If gutters are clogged, water may sit in the system throughout winter. If the temperature gets too cold, this could lead to the formation of icicles. When cleaning your system is not enough, you may need to install a gutter and downspout replacement.
- Check Windows: Drafty windows can reduce your home’s efficiency, and lead to an uncomfortable cold season. You should check windows for leakage while it is not too cold. Seal and caulk around any leaky frames if you cannot replace them.
- Fix the Roof: Your roofing may be your first line of defense against cold winds and snow. To that end, you want to make sure to repair any minor problems now. They can only be exacerbated during the upcoming harsh season.
- Clean the Outdoors: Mowing the grass, raking leaves, putting away lawn furniture and draining outdoor pipes of water may help your home survive the cold weather. Leaving dead grass or leaves could kill your lawn. Any furniture left out could get ruined in the cold weather. Outdoor pipes or hoses left full of water could burst.
It is important you take the time to get ready for winter. If you don’t take on certain improvement projects, your roofing may not have a long service life. It is helpful to work with a knowledgeable contractor as you prepare for winter.