When it comes time for a roof removal and replacement in McKinney, TX, and the surrounding area, you have a lot of choices. Homeowners can get metal or asphalt shingles for their new roof. There isn’t one material that is right for everyone so it is recommended to learn about your different roofing options. To help you make this important decision, read on for our top 6 facts about metal roofs:
- Materials: Metal roofs can be made from different alloys and metals, such as stone-coated steel, stainless steel, Galvanized steel, aluminum, zinc and aluminum coated steel, zinc, copper and terne. The exact material may affect other aspects of the roofing.
- Styles: You may be able to find metal roofing in interlocking shingles or vertical panels. This roofing also comes in different colors and may imitate cedar shake, asphalt shingles, slate or clay tiles. No matter what style you want in a roof, a metal material can fulfill that desire.
- Cost: The cost of a metal roof depends on the material used. It can range from $300 to $1,400 per square feet. While the cost for material can be higher, the installation cost may be lower because the old roof may not have to be torn off.
- Durability: The longevity of a metal roof may vary by the materials. This type of roofing could anywhere from 50 to over 100 years.
- Warranty: You may be able to get a warranty from the installer and the manufacturer. Most manufacturer warranties range from 30 to 50 years.
- Slope: Most flat or low sloped roofs do not use metal. The typical minimum slope for a metal roof is 3:12, which means the roof rises 3 inches for every 12 horizontal inches.
Is metal the right material for your roofing system? Working with professional and trustworthy roofers will assist you in making this important decision. Our roofing professionals can educate you on the pros and cons of metal and other roofing materials. To get started call (817) 349-3129 or submit an online contact form for a free estimate.